Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pattern Review: Farfalle Bracelet

FARFALLE BRACELET
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Metallic Olive Brown" (11-457H)
  • SuperDuo beads "Opaque Olive Copper Picasso"
  • 6mm round "Crazy Moss Agate" stone beads
  • 4mm corrugated brass beads (from Hobby Lobby)
This is another pattern by Deborah Roberti. You can buy it HERE at Around the Beading Table for $4.00. I wasn't sure at first if I could come up with color combination of beads that I'd be happy with but I'm really pleased with the results. I really didn't want to use bicones and I had these "Crazy Moss" stone beads that I splurged on months ago and hadn't gotten around to using yet. They were perfect for this bracelet. While I splurged on the stone beads, I cheaped out on the 4mm brass beads. I got those on sale for 50% off at Hobby Lobby. I also have some smooth brass ones from Hobby Lobby but I thought the corrugated ones would add an interesting texture to the bracelet.

I didn't change anything about the pattern, which is unusual for me. Well, I must admit that I went ahead and attached half of the clasp right away after making the first motif. That way I only had to leave a long enough tail to weave in later.

Using large stone beads made for a heavy bracelet but it has a nice feel to it. I also got lucky that I didn't have to do anything special to make it fit me. Nine motifs were just right for my size and I kept the clasp loops just as Deb's pattern said to make them.

This pattern is fun to make and the method is a little unusual, or at least I've never made anything quite like it before. 



10 comments:

  1. This is stunning. I love it. Your photos are getting awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The quality of my photos is a bit hit or miss. I haven't yet figured out how to get good ones when the light is poor. I rely on natural light (no flash) so they usually turn out great on sunny days but mostly horrible on rainy days.

      Delete
    2. I also want to mention that many of the photos that I'm posting here on my blog were taken a long time ago when I had just started beading. I've since figured out a few tricks to getting better photos. Plus, before my blog, I often just snapped quick pictures to have a permanent record of everything I made. I'm gradually trying to retake some of the photos but many of the items were gifts so I can't retake those without remaking them first.

      Delete
  2. this is very nice, I try to add semi precious beads when ever possible instead of the reg seed beads, just looks so much more real. Again very nice. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have the pattern for this available? Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link where you can buy the pattern is in the first paragraph above. Or copy and paste this one in your browser: http://www.aroundthebeadingtable.com/Patterns/Farfalle.html

      Delete
  4. Preciosos diseño y has elegido unos colores fantásticos!!!
    Encantada de pasar por aquí

    MariaM acabado en M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: "Lovely design and you've chosen some great colors! Nice to stop by."

      Thanks, Mariam. I took a quick look at your blog and you've got some beautiful beadwork. Here's the link to Mariam's blog: http://mariamabalorios.blogspot.com/

      Delete