Monday, March 21, 2016

Playing with my beads...Layered Tila Earrings in silver

I've blogged about these cute earrings many times but I usually make them with bronze seed beads. I bought some nickel plated Tila beads just so that I could make some of these earrings in silver. After making these two sample earrings, I've decided that I don't like how they look in silver. They don't look bad here in the photos but I don't like the way they look when I have them on. I think it has to do with the contrast between the shiny silver beads and the colored accent beads. The silver is so bright that it makes the earrings appear to have an odd shape. When I make them with bronze beads there is usually very little contrast between the colors that I use so you see all of the detail and shape of the earrings as they are meant to look. I won't bother making any earrings in these colors but I thought you might like to see them anyway. I'll have to find another use for the silver Tila beads.



  • 15/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • Tila beads "Nickel Plated" (TL-190)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Rosaline Moon Dust"
  • 4mm fire polished beads "Rosaline Moon Dust"



  • 15/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • Tila beads "Nickel Plated" (TL-190)
  • 3mm druks "Suede Blue"
  • 4mm druks "Suede Blue"

You can download Yvonne King's free "Layered Tila Bracelet" pattern from My Amari HERE. The earrings are made using a single motif from the bracelet for each earring and and I added loops for the earring wires.



UPDATE 6/6/19: All of the previous links to this pattern are dead. You can get the free "Layered Tila Bracelet" pattern HERE on Bead-Patterns.com.
 
This pattern brings back memories of when I was just learning to bead. Every time I came across the photos of Yvonne's bracelet online, I would think to myself that I'd never be able to make anything as elaborate as that. But, the unusual design and the bead colors that Yvonne used appealed to me very much so I downloaded the pattern anyway. Eventually the day came when I knew that I was experienced enough to give it a try and I'm so glad that I did. It's a fun pattern to make because it's not repetitious. You do something a little different each time you go around the motif and add another layer. If you ever take one apart, you'll really see how layered it actually is.

 
Here are a few examples of these earrings that I've made and I love them in these colors very much:






And, here is one example where I used pewter colored seed beads that aren't as bright or shiny as the nickel ones and I love these:


You can find the bead color information for all of these earrings in THIS post.

 

6 comments:

  1. Isn't that funny-- I said the same thing when I saw this pattern. I said "One day I hope to make this bracelet." I forgot all about it until I saw your post and thought...that's the bracelet I wanted to make. I think I can do it now so I will try. So many patterns to make...will I get them all made???? :-))) I really love ALL the earrings. They are beautiful. How do you bead so fast. I'm so slow :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marge, I've seen your beautiful beadwork and you definitely CAN make this pattern.

      Delete
  2. I love all of the earrings but as someone that loves silver and wears mostly silver I love the silver ones but would use a different blue bead...maybe a deep blue rather than the bright one or a dark emerald color. My preference is a darker color with the bright silver, seems to balance it out for me. But once again I love everything that you make so what do I know lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the silver looks great, especially with the blue! I definately understand what you are saying though; photos and in person can be totally different. Thank you again for sharing the pattern. I really admire your earrings and how you put colors together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for creating such a unique pattern, Yvonne. It's not that I don't like the colors that I used this time. It's how the earrings look from a distance when I have them on. The blue is dark so it disappears and all that shows is the silver. That changes how the shape of the earrings looks somehow. In any case, I've got loads of these in colors that I love.

      Delete
    2. Ah okay, gotcha. It's funny how different colors can change something like that. I wonder if a brighter color like a medium to light fushia would help balance the silver and not get lost? I'm glad you enjoy it :)

      Delete